When I decided to use the song The Rip by Portishead I realised that the song nor the band belonged to the genres I have previously researched. Portishead were an experimental Rock band with a niche genre of Art rock. I have since decided to do some research into other bands that have music videos in this genre. I will not be reviewing or analysing any of Portishead's videos as there are not enough to give an idea of how they present themselves and I don't want my idea to be influenced heavily by their own videos.
Massive Attack
Massive Attack is an experimental rock band who like Portishead use electronic production within their songs to create a more alternative atmosphere to their songs. Some of their most notable pieces of work include the single 'Teardrop' which uses production and lyrical styling's incredibly similar to Portishead with a ghostly vocalist in a high pitch. The music video for 'Teardrop' is an incredibly original and unique music video that was nominated for various awards around the world. It follows a plastic foetus in the womb lip-synching to the song. Obviously I will not be able to do something of this style with the budget that I have got but it gives context as to how truly experimental I can be within this genre when comes to music videos.
Radiohead
Radiohead are another experimental rock band who took inspiration from hip-hop sampling by artists such as DJ Shadow and the electronic styling's from artists such as Aphex Twin. This coincides with the electronic sounds from Portishead also. One of their most memorable music videos is the music video 'No Surprises.' The video itself is incredibly symbolic of the lyrics within the video as well as creating a claustrophobic atmosphere within the video.
These incredibly experimental music videos make me feel more comfortable working on a very experimental genre. I feel that I won't need to market to a specific type of audience the amount of variety and originality that is seen in experimental rock videos. I am looking forward to creating my music video!
No comments:
Post a Comment